Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cisco Serial Cables the end on the light-blue console cable

Now in addition to all the standard Cisco Serial Cables I am carrying around I have added a mini USB cable to the mix. My console cable bag is growing larger, but this is a standard cable that many of us carry with us anyway. Overtime, we may stop carrying the old clunky serial cables with DB-9 and USB to serial converters. I am all in favor of anything that makes the job easier.I am hoping that this new method continues to be spread to other devices. I also hope that Cisco will enable all of the USB Type-A ports on their other devices for similar connectivity. For years I have hauled around two console cable sets. Because I often connect to multiple devices at the same time, such as redundant supervisors on 6500s or to two supervisors in redundant 6500s or VSS, I need two Cisco Serial Cables. Here is a picture of one of my typical USB cables. I use a Keyspan USA-19HS USB to serial adapter.
I realize that this is expensive but it is the most reliable and its driver seems universally accepted by laptop operating systems. Note that the end on the light-blue console cable has been replaced and a yellow boot added because of excessive wear. You know you have logged into a lot of Cisco routers when you wear out the RJ-45 connector on the end of your favorite console cable.While frame relay as a technology is rather old, it’s still used in many environments and GLC-SX-MMD​, Compatible Cisco SFP Transceive​r 1000Base-S​X 850nm 550M with DDM offers an easy to implement small-scale, WAN experience for those entering the field. To simulate frame relay in a Cisco lab, the easiest way (and typically cheapest) is to buy a good old 2500 series serial router; these devices offer 2 or 8 serial connections (DB60) that can be used to connect to Frame Relay end devices (more modern routers).

No comments:

Post a Comment